Pages

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Rhubarb Gingerbread

Despite having my own rhubarb plant, I don't actually end up making many things with it. But in amongst the recipes I received at my Hen's Party I found this recipe for Rhubarb Gingerbread - so another Good Bitches Bake gave me a good opportunity to try it out. I didn't have the recommended square tin so just made a round one (and a little cupcake so I could test what I was giving away! One must carry out quality assurance. 😉)

Rhubarb Gingerbread
*makes a 20cm square cake
*preheat oven to 180'C & line a baking tin.

100g wholemeal flour
100g plain flour
1/2tsp baking soda
2tsp ground ginger
100gm butter
100gm brown/raw sugar
60ml treacle/molasses/golden syrup
2Tbsp milk
2 large eggs
50g crystallised ginger pieces
350g rhubarb stems, washed & dried


  • Remove the 'hoof' from the rhubarb stems & cut into 1cm slices.
  • Chop ginger into pea sized pieces.
  • Sift together the flours, soda & ginger into a mixing bowl. Tip the coarse bits of the wholemeal into the bowl. Mix in rhubarb & ginger.
  • Melt together butter, sugar & treacle. Allow to cool before stirring in the eggs & milk.
  • Make a hollow in the dry ingredients & pour in the liquid. Mix well.
  • Pour mixture into prepared tin & bake for 40mins.
  • Cool for 5 mins before removing from the tin & cool on a rack.



Are you a rhubarb fan? How about ginger?

2 comments:

  1. I also make a cupcake (when I remember) of new cake recipes I bake for Good Bitches. So often I'll try something new and have no idea how it turns out as it has gone straight out the door before I got to sample it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes its a good thing to remember to do (or as I've done before make a double batch so you have baking to keep....)

      Delete